• Instrumental or Vocal Solo - A student may perform only one solo on a given instrument.
• Instrumental or Vocal Small Ensemble (2 - 18 members plus accompanist) - A student may perform in no more than two ensembles on any given instrument.
• Student Conductor - A student conductor may participate if conducting an ensemble consisting of a minimum of sixteen members and the performance stays within the six-minute time limit.
Students who are members of their school's music ensemble and whose teachers are current members of LMEA are eligible to participate in Solo & Ensemble Assessment. Teachers who are non-members may enter their students in the Solo & Ensemble Assessment upon payment of a non-member fee along with the regular student entry fees.
Students may participate in only one district-level Solo and Ensemble Assessment per year.
Memorization - Instrumentalists are not required to memorize music. Vocalists soloists are required to perform from memory or be rated one division lower. Memorization for vocal ensembles is optional.
Judge's Copy of Music - All events (solo or ensemble) must provide the judge one original copy of each selection with the measures numbered. Note: Duplicated scores are accepted ONLY if accompanied by written permission from the copyright owner. Students should number all measures.
Vocal - Students should perform appropriate art songs, folk songs, spirituals, or other standard vocal literature. Broadway and show tunes, movie tunes, or pop songs are not considered appropriate literature.
- Selections must be chosen from the current Texas UIL music list
(Prescribed Music List for Orchestra), the Virginia list
(The Director's Guide to Festival and Contest Music), the
Suzuki Method Books, or from the All-State prepared materials list.
Publications Order Library
P.O. Box 8028
Austin, TX 78712
To order a copy of The Director's Guide to Festival and Contest Music, contact:
The Instrumentalist Company
200 Northfield Road
Northfield, IL 60093
String solos should be chosen from the following levels:
String ensembles should be chosen from the following levels:
* The large ensemble string orchestra list may serve as a supplemental source for quartets and quintets.
Note: Special instrumentation not listed on either the Texas or Virginia list may be selected from any source.
Harp and Guitar - May select solo and ensemble material from any source.
- $5.00 per solo
Fees should be paid to the student's school. A single school check, payable to L.M.E.A. District IX, should be issued by the registration deadline for all students auditioning from a participating school. Mail the check, registration form, and a copy of your LMEA membership card to the event chairperson.
All Solo & Ensemble Assessments must be completed by April 30th.
• Instrumental - Covington High
• Vocal - Fontainebleau High
• Vocal - Northshore High
• Solo and Small Ensemble Entry Form - The current year's form can be found in the September issue of The Louisiana Musician or by clicking on "Forms" in the navagation bar on the left. This form, along with a single check for the entry fees and a copy of your LMEA membership card, should be mailed to the festival chairperson by the registration deadline.
• Participating teachers should also attach a list of the students' names with the titles of each solo or ensemble being performed. (This will supply additional information needed by the host teacher when filling out adjudication forms.)
• Individual teachers are responsible for the conduct of their students while on the host campus. Students are to be reminded to stay only in designated areas and not to disturb the operation of host schools in any way.
an adjudicator as soon as possible. Chairpersons should NOT hire the same adjudicator each
• Schedule events at six minute intervals for high school and five minute intervals for elementary and junior high schools.
• Provide a warm-up room.
• Adjudication Forms - Fill out the information on the top of adjudication forms. Links to these forms can also be found by clicking "Forms" in the navagation bar on the left.
• Assessment Forms - Complete the following forms on the day of the festival. Be sure to get the adjudicator's signature as required on the forms.
• Upon completion of the assessment, the chairperson should turn in the following to Neal Naquin, Covington High School, 73030 Lion Dr., Covington, LA 70433
1. All registration forms and checks received from participating teachers
2. Schedule of Events and Ratings form
3. Signed Expense Voucher (adjudicator signs)
4. Signed Medal Request Forms (adjudicator signs)
• Adjudicator's Payment - As soon as all forms are received by the district director, a check will be mailed to the adjudicator.
Last Updated: February, 2014